Monday, April 15, 2013

baby on the way!

Long time no blog! It's been almost a whole year since I have written a blog post, so I decided it was about time seeing as so much has happened. Probably the most exciting this to happen to Kapena and I is our little one that it on the way. We are expecting a new addition to our family on October 6th. Words can not describe all the excitement!

Initially we planned on waiting until at least a year to start trying for a baby, but in October we started to really want a baby. After many many long talks we decided it would be best to wait until after the first of the year to start trying. I did a lot of research and found out that it usually takes about 4 months to get pregnant. I really did not want to wait that long at all, but I just figured this would be the case. So after the first of the year we got busy ;) and after some careful scheduling, we endured the 2 week wait, which is the time it takes for a test to show if you are pregnant or not. Let me tell you that was the longest 2 weeks of my life. I had planned on waiting exactly 2 weeks to test, but my patient self could not wait that long. We went and got a few tests and made sure to get the ones that tell you "5 days sooner". Every morning for the next 5 days, Kapena and I would get up early and I would take a test. After many negative tests, desperate prayers, and a few tears, we figured it didn't happen this month, and we would just need to try again next month. Then on the expected date of Aunt Flo's arrival I decided I would just take another test just because, so I didn't bother to wake Kapena up. I left the test on the counter and went ahead getting ready for work. Expecting another negative result I went into the bathroom to look at the test, and there were TWO LINES! Immediately I picked up the test and busted into our bedroom screaming/sobbing/laughing to Kapena that there was two lines! The poor guy had just woken up and it took him a few seconds to translate what I was saying. He rubbed his eyes trying so hard to see the test but just kept saying "I can't see it! My eyes are blurry!". Finally his eyes focused and he saw the second line. Then came the water works, hugs and kisses. And just like that, we were pregnant. :)

I can not tell you how blessed I feel that I was able to get pregnant so quickly. I will never take that for granted after hearing so many heartbreaking stories of months and years of infertility. I guess our little angel is just as excited to meet us as we are to meet them. 

What we were most excited for was to tell our families, they wanted a grandbaby and niece/nephew so badly. After months of "are you pregnant YET?" we couldn't wait to finally say "YES!". We found out on Monday so that meant we had to wait almost a whole week to tell everyone that Sunday, and that was not easy. We had a very specific plan to tell everyone the news.

Earlier in the week Kapena called both of our parents and told them that he was planning a surprise for me and he needed their help. He said he was going to take me on a cruise (which everyone knows I have been dying to do) for a combined Valentines Day/birthday/anniversary gift and he wanted to surprise me in front of everyone so they needed to gather both families for a family dinner. The week went on and everyone thought they were going to pull a fast one on me, but little did they know the surprise was for them! Sunday FINALLY came and it was time to tell the news. During family home evening after Sunday dinner Kapena said he had a surprise for me and brought out a big box to me. I acted like I had no idea what was going on and began to open the present. I pulled out a beach towel, aloe vera, and a picture of a cruise ship and acted like I was starting to catch on as everyone was dying for me to figure it out. The last thing I pulled out was a piece of paper that I read. I said "oh my gosh you guys aren't going to believe this!" which sort of confused everyone. Then I turned the paper around which read "WE"RE PREGNANT!" and everyone started screaming and crying and hugging. It could not have gone more perfectly! And because we wanted to catch it on camera, Kapena's dad was video taping what he thought was a surprise for me.

I am so happy that we were able to start the pregnancy off in such a fun way. Obviously I have a lot to catch the blog up on in our lives and those posts are to follow.

1 comment: