Wednesday, April 11, 2012

the proposal.

People are always asking me how Kapena proposed, but it's a long story so I always have to give a condensed version that doesn't even begin to describe how special it was. So i'll start from the very beginning.

We started dating January 12, 2010 and knew that we wanted to be with each other forever from the very beginning. Neither he or I had ever felt that way about someone before. I want to tell you about the first time we said I love you first, its one of my favorite memories :). We were talking on the phone one night, and I brought up that I wanted to wait to say I love you until we really really meant it, because I didn't want it to be like some of my previous relationships, where you just say it because. I wanted to make sure we really meant it this time. The next night I was dropping him off at his house and we were just sitting in my car talking. Then out of no where he blurts out "I love you!" then smacks his hand over his mouth staring at me with big innocent eyes. "Crap.." he whispered through his hand still covering his mouth. All I could do was just grin and ask him if he really meant it. He said that he knew we just talked about not saying it the night before but he really really meant it, and that's when I found out that he had never said it to any girl before. I just grinned and gave him a big hug and whispered that I loved him too, really. I just love those moments where I got to see through his rough tough exterior and see the sweet, gentle, person he really is. Now I get to see it all the time :)

Anyway, on to the actual proposal. It was a very long and process to actually be able to call him my fiance. Like I said we always knew we wanted to be together so that was a given. We started to really make plans the beginning of summer after our first year down at Snow College together. But of course we are poor college students that can't afford a huge diamond ring. Lucky for him (and his wallet) I didn't even want a diamond. So we went to work that summer doing customer service for Pinnacle Security. We got so lucky and got to sit next to each other every day at work and he was able to save up for my ring. 

The next battle was getting my Mom to agree. My mom was naturally concerned at how young we were, which of course is understandable. Don't get me wrong though, she is his biggest fan, I'm pretty sure she likes him more than me most of the time ;). My grandma loooves him so much, and doesn't mind squeezing his muscles every now and again. But once we got over that battle everything was good to go.

My ring was custom made so of course that took like 2 months to make, so I was getting very restless. The day he ordered my ring I had to go into get my gallbladder out. Right after waking up, that must have been on my mind because apparently I asked him about 5 times if he ordered my ring yet, he lovingly reassured me he did every time. Then I whispered for him to come closer, no, closer. As soon as he was right up against my face I demanded that he kiss me. As soon as he did I asked him to marry me, and he said that of course he would! Now remember all of this information is based off of what my families have told me. But I definitely proposed first.

I promise, onto the day of the proposal now. It was a Sunday and both of our families were going to the Draper temple (where we decided we wanted to get married) to take family pictures so our family friend Candace (of Ku'uipo Photography, check her out, shes fabulous) could test out a new lens on her camera. So my mom, grandma and I headed up to Draper. When we got there I saw Kapena's brother Kainoa holding a red rose, I said "why the heck is Kainoa holding a rose?" (duh) As I looked around a little more and saw his entire family spread out each holding a red rose. Finally I caught on to what was going on and I started to shake and get butterflies, grinning the whole time. I looked to my mom and said "is this what I think it is??" she shrugged and said "I dunno.." with a sly smile. K, this was really happening right now. His little sister Leilani, who I absolutely adore, shes the little sister I never had, came up to me and handed me a rose and started crying telling my why she loves me. Which of course made me start to bawl. She then directed me to everybody else, I went around to everybody in his family and my family, and they each handed me a rose and told me why they love me, of course everyone was crying. His mom told me to please take care of her son, I promise I will. Then I finally got to my man. We hugged for awhile just telling each other how much we loved each other. I was wearing my promise ring on my ring finger and he whispered in my ear that I should probably take that off. Believe me, I ripped that thing off my finger. Then he got down on one knee and asked me if I would please marry him. He probably said a lot more, but honestly I was freaking out to much to remember what he said. But then he pulled out the most beautiful, sparkly ring and put it on my finger. I didn't take more that a millisecond to look at it before I had to hug him and kiss him again. His dad got the whole thing on video so if you want to see it make sure you come to the wedding :).

So that was it, I was somebodies fiance, finally. I promise you I could not have designed it better myself. It was just a day full of love.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment